FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR SESSIONS
GfÖ Annual Meeting 2018 September 10 to 14, 2018 in Vienna, Austria
in 2018, the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), hosts the 48th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
The meeting will take place from 10-14 September 2018 in Vienna, Austria, at the former campus of the Vienna University of Economics and Business (Alte WU), Augasse 6.
In times of changing conditions, ecological research is facing new challenges. On the one hand, complexity of the biosphere is increasingly reduced by human activities; on the other hand, human activities aggravate predictability of future developments. This poses new necessities for assessing ecological conditions and for discovering new ecological interrelations, which is reflected by our motto of this year, "Ecology - meeting the scientific challenges of a complex world".
The conference provides the opportunity to present the state of the art of our scientific field, to interact with other research groups, and to stimulate synergies between the different disciplines. We will compile a comprehensive and interesting program that covers the variety of topics of our scientific community.
Call for sessions
The organizing committee encourages all members of the GfÖ and all scientists interested in ecological research to organize and chair sessions for presentations or workshops.
Proposals for sessions will be accepted from 15 December 2017 to 15 February 2018
. Everybody is cordially invited to submit session topics relevant to ecologists.
The scientific committee has already suggested a couple of topics for sessions (in brackets see potential organizers/chairs):
- Origin and development of steppe habitats (Karl-Georg Bernhardt, BOKU Wien)
- Grassland ecology, conservation and restoration (Christian Bräuchler, Johannes Kollmann, TU München)
- Freshwater ecology (Wolfram Graf, BOKU Wien)
- Alpine ecosystems in the context of global change (Karl Hülber, Univ. Wien)
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services in agroecosystems (Silvia Winter, BOKU Wien)
- Ecological consequences of landscape change (Marcela Suarez-Rubio, BOKU Wien)
- Bee ecology (Bärbel Pachinger, BOKU Wien)
- Ecological impacts of pesticides on non-target organisms (Johann Zaller, BOKU Wien)
- Mechanisms of biological invasions (NN)
- Host vector parasite interactions and global change (Swen Renner, BOKU Wien; Alfonso Marzal Reynolds, Univ. Extremadura, Spain)
- Genetics of restoration or conservation (Harald Meimberg, BOKU Wien)
- Citizen Science (Florian Heigl, Daniel Dörler, BOKU Wien)
Colleagues being interested in one of the aforementioned topics are welcome to collaborate as organizer or chair.
Proposals should include the following information:
- A session title
- A short title (max 5 words or 50 characters)
- The goal of the session (half A4 page)
- Names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of chairs (up to three chairs per session)
- List of potential speakers
(Please note: all potential speakers will have to register and pay registration fee)
If you would like to propose and chair a session, please use our online form
For all sessions, researchers and students will be welcome to submit oral and/or poster presentations. Session themes and chairs will be selected by the scientific committee after 15 February 2018. The call for presentations will then follow. Speakers will be selected by the session chairs, in collaboration with the scientific committee. Attendees not giving an oral presentation will have the opportunity to present their research in the form of a poster. Efforts should be made to be specific and to avoid presenting overviews, summaries, or material that is already widely known. The goal of the conference is to stimulate novel ideas by presenting new information.
We are looking forward to arranging a stimulating conference and hope that you will be able to participate. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our conference office at:
We look forward to welcoming you to Vienna!
With kind regards,
(on behalf of the organizing committee)